Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Words to live by

If you're anything like me, you find yourself daily saying, "There is just not enough time in the day." It seems the older I get, I find this to be even more true. So, that being said, I'm always looking for ways to cheat time and add more hours to my day. That or at least just make my bed and run the dishwasher.
 
 
Fortunately these little sayings and words of wisdom have been helping me lately. 
 
"Beat them up."
 
This comes from my mother-in-law and is in reference to spouse/kids. I love it! No, she does not mean physically beat them up {oh but there have been days...I kid!}, rather beat them up by waking up before them each morning. She has shared that when her kids were younger she would wake up at all kind of crazy hours so that she could get herself completely ready {cheers to a working mama!}, fix breakfast and pack lunches. She then was pleasant and calm and had time to enjoy the morning with her husband and kiddos. What a novel idea! I am notorious for hitting snooze and then find myself running late. Not a good scene for G and B to see me running around like a crazy person in the morning. I have been working on "beating them up" and will continue, but wow are the mornings tough on this tired, pregger mama.
 
 
 
"Touch it once."
 
As much as I would love to have a spotlessly clean house, I do not. This is a constant struggle for us. I love this saying that comes from my mom's best friend. It makes so much sense. I am notorious for starting to put things away or starting to fold the laundry, but then I get sidetracked with something else. Touch it once. When the laundry is your hands, fold it and put it away. Don't just fold it and leave it in stacks. Don't just unpack the groceries and leave on the counter. Touch it once. Finish putting them in the pantry.  Don't put those Thin Mints you're holding down.  Touch it once.  Shove them in your mouth. :)  Does it work that way too?
 
 
 
"If you can't get out of it, get into it."

This little nugget comes from a dear friend and fellow blogger. She too is a new mama and like us all is balancing the juggling act of doing it all. I love how she is so honest about her lack of love for early mornings {I hear you sister!} but recognizes that little man of hers is getting up regardless. So, if you can't get out of it, get into it. I have to remind myself of this daily with our balancing act of getting everyone up and out the door, working all day and then coming home to play the role of fabulous housewife/mom {I'm a really good actress!}. As much as I want to come home each afternoon, put on my sweats and crash with an episode of Real Housewives, it's just not happening. I'm trying to "get into it" with setting fun routines and asking for help {wow, there's a post in itself}. B gets G bathed and down while I try some new recipes. It's certainly an ongoing act of finding routine and balance, but since I'm not getting out of it, I'll at least find the postive in it.
 
 
 
What sayings or words of wisdom inspire and motivate you?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment