Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Learning To Say No

True confession: I am a people pleaser. I am a "yes" person. I am the one you want on your committee because I'll always agree to volunteer to do something. I am the friend you want to invite to the Stella and Dot/Rodan and Fields/Doterra party because I always feel like I have to buy something. I am the mom who cannot turn down a play date no matter how worn out the boys and I are. I just don't know how to say, "No." 

I don't know if it was my friend saying she was going to get me the "Stop me before I volunteer again" coffee mug for Christmas as I was frantically cleaning my house to host a junior league meeting the night after I hosted girls night or the fact I've been going so nonstop it finally caught up to me in the form of a viral infection but another friend's wise words have really been resonating with me. 



My friend shared this quote the other day in our Bible study, and it hit me. I realized the "something else" was my family. I am so busy pleasing everyone else and making time for others that B and my boys were getting my "less." Don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer that girls nights are good for the soul, and I want to be the friend/volunteer/etc people can count on. However as we are entering in this holiday season I want to make sure I don't blink and have missed sweet time with my family. Even if that means missing out on a park date with friends or chairing some committee because what will matter is that the people who mean the most to me are getting the most of me and from me. Now I need to go respond to an email letting them know I can't volunteer for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment