Thursday, August 14, 2014

We're all a mess.

The other day at my women's bible study the notion of "we're all a mess" came up in the discussion. Some of the girls were sharing how thankful they are that our generation has it so much easier than the generation of women before us who couldn't easily admit {or easily be accepted for admitting} that "we're all a mess."

I had to disagree though {B would respond right now, "surprise, surprise."}. I shared with the group that thanks to social media I think it can sometimes be harder to admit we're all a mess. We look at the highlight reel Instagram provides of adorable children, fabulous vacations and gorgeous home decor. Pinterest shows all the super moms crafting and creating projects and decorations. Even a basic lunch sandwich is turned into something cute and clever.

This hit me today as I glanced at my Insta feed. The last shots are of our amazing weekend celebrating Baby Jude, but what no one is seeing is that right now we are stuck at home with runny noses and cranky spirits. I'm still in my pjs and just made my third cup of coffee which will actually be my first since the other two set cold as I dealt with said runny noses and cranky spirits. Now don't get me wrong, no one wants to follow along the rants and ravings of everyday trials and tribulations, but every now and then it's good to recognize and admit, we're all a mess. I don't care who you are or what life stage you're in, we are all a mess. And quite honestly it's really good to say that out loud and cut ourselves a little slack every now and then. So I thought I'd share why I am a mess {believe me, this is just a sampling!}.

*I often buy fresh flowers to put around the house instead of just cleaning. People tend to notice the blooms instead of the dirt {at least that's what I'm telling myself!}. I'm such a mess!

*I lose my patience with my little men way too easily. I'm such a mess!

*I've been known to go several days without washing my hair {dry shampoo is a lifesaver!}. I'm such a mess!


*I have serious FOMO {fear of missing out}, and it makes even the tiniest decisions impossible. I'm such a mess!


*I snap at my husband way too often for no good reason at all when all he's trying to do is help. I'm such a mess!


*Instead of being productive, I've been known {more often than not} to nap when the boys nap {and I wonder why I can't get anything done!}. I'm such a mess!


*If I had a whole day to myself I would totally just lay on the couch and watch a marathon of the Real Housewives. I'm such a mess!


So tell me, how are you a mess??



4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!! This is, seriously, one of my favorites sayings. I'm such a mess!! Haha, fresh flowers > cleaning EVERYDAY! Thank goodness for Trader Joe's and their cheap selection! I just found your blog and have to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all a mess! Agreed. I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I definitely have a few things I can share here!!

    I've been saying I will organize our personal files since we got married but they still just sit there in a box. I am such a mess!

    The dinning room table is stacked with so much junk that you cannot see the tablecloth. I am such a mess!

    Thanks for sharing! This was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post Ray! So important to give ourselves a little grace :) xo LK

    ReplyDelete