Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Gobble, gobble it up!

So last night I hosted Recipe Club, and the theme was {of course} my favorite, Thanksgiving.  Everyone was to bring their favorite Turkey Day side dish.  I made sure I wore some stretchy pants, and let's just say the ladies did not disappoint.

No gathering is complete without a special drink,
so {thank you Pinterest!} Spiced Cider Champagne Cocktails were in order. 
I felt so fancy with my pumpkin pie spice rimmed flutes. 
This is my new favorite drink by the way!
 
And how cute is this festive turkey I snagged at World Market?  He's got a twin on the other side.

So onto the food!
One of our Thanksgiving favorites is my aunt's Asparagus en Croute.
 
Asparagus en Croute  
Ingredients
12 slices sandwich bread
 
 ½ pound Swiss cheese
 ½ cup Dijon mustard
 12 Asparagus spears -- cooked
 
 4 tablespoons butter – melted
 
Roll slices of bread as thin as possible with a rolling pin; trim crusts. You will have pieces 3 to 3½" square. Lay squares out on a work surface and cover with a damp cloth for 10 minutes. Cut cheese into fingers, more or less the size of the asparagus spears.
Spread each bread square evenly with mustard. Lay an asparagus spear and a strip of cheese on each bread square and roll up. Place seam side down on a buttered baking sheet. Brush rolls with melted butter. Bake in the upper third of a 450 oven for 10 minutes, or until brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.
 I am so sad I did not snap more shots of all the food {I was too busy piling it all up on my plate!}.  Everything from Tomato Artichoke Casserole, Sauteed Brussels Sprouts, Homemade Apple Sauce and Pumpkin Dump Cake, my plate runneth over {don't worry, there were oldie but goodies like Green Bean Casserole and Corn Casserole too}.

My award for best presentation was
the Baked Acorn Squash {and it tasted delish too!}.
From the looks of it my Baked Hominy and Cheese Casserole was a hit as well!
 
What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish??


No comments:

Post a Comment