Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pinspired: Eat Healthy for Less

I am a sucker for new recipes.  I love going through cooking magazines.  My problem is I want to try them all.  In the same week.  I am horrible at meal planning.  I buy way too many different ingredients for way too many different recipes resulting in a way too high grocery bill {even at Trader Joes!}.  I have been working on that.  My new goal is to meal plan per week and try and use the same ingredients in various dishes.

Thanks to Pinterest, I found this great post on eating healthy for less.  First attempt was...

 
 

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8-10 skinless chicken thighs, bone in
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine
2 garlic cloves, sliced into thin rounds
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 cup pitted olives such as Kalamata
1 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
1 cup whole wheat couscous
1/2 pound broccoli

Parmesan cheese to taste
1 teaspoon lemon zest


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; add to pan, meaty side down. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes more.
2. Pour out any excess fat. Return pan to burner; stir in broth and wine, scraping up any brown bits. Scatter garlic, thyme, and olives on chicken.



Lay one lemon round on each piece of chicken.

3. Place skillet in oven. Roast chicken for 17 to 20 minutes, or until juices run clear. 
4. Prepare couscous according to package directions and steam broccoli.  Serve chicken over couscous; place steamed broccoli on the side and sprinkle with parmesan and lemon zest.

 
I obviously did not taste the chicken, but B was pleased.  Not his favorite dish he said {thought the chicken could be more flavorful} but the sauce was amazing over the coucous.  Try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment