Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Polenta Pizzas + 10 Toddler Lunch Ideas

I don't know what happened, but these days I have a picky eater on my hands. I'm sure you can guess just by looking at my two little men which one I'm talking about. Jude certainly is not skipping any meals, but George on the other hand has become my picky little eater. Sadly, I'm to blame for this. Because I'm too lazy to battle during mealtime, there are days we've been known to have goldfish and granola bars for lunch. Please, no judgement!

So in an effort to get the little men eating better, I decide to jump on the bento box bandwagon. Much to my pleasant surprise it worked! The boys love these containers and get so excited to see what is in them each day. These fun muffin tins and mini containers help keep things separated and the boys love picking out their favorite colors. Each day now at lunch George will say, "What new food are we going to try?" and actually tries everything! Don't get me wrong, there are days he only has his required bites and then moves onto his old favorites. Hey, it's progress! Here are some of our favorite combos.

1. Polenta pizzas with grapes and yogurt
These polenta pizzas are SO easy and the boys loved them! Just slice the precooked polenta and place on cookie sheet. Stick under the broiler for several minutes. Then top with warmed pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Stick back under the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble.

2. Pepperoni and cheese kebabs, edamame, fruit kebabs and pretzels

3. Rotisserie chicken with BBQ sauce, snap peas, berries and granola

4. Bean and cheese burrito roll-ups, guacamole chips and applesauce

5. Pita triangles with hummus, carrots and cucumbers with Greek yogurt dip and oranges

6. Sneaky muffins, yogurt, rotisserie chicken and blueberries

7. Tortellini with marinara, strawberries and carrots

8. Turkey and cheese roll-ups, veggie sticks, applesauce and bananas 

9. Quinoa bites, vegetable medley, yogurt and cantaloupe 

10. Peanut butter and honey waffle sandwich, peaches, edamame and crackers

Also, these bento boxes are fabulous for grown-ups too! B and I have been using them to make protein snack packs. He takes them to work, and I have them ready in the fridge to grab when I'm hungry instead of candy!

So do share! What are your little ones eating for lunch these days? What about you? I'm always looking for new ideas.

1 comment: