Thursday, August 18, 2011

What's old is new

Well we had our very first house guests last weekend.  B's brother Caleb and my sister-in-law Amy visited.  We were frantically trying to get the house ready for them, and although there were still boxes in the garage and the nursery looks more like a junk drawer, we managed to offer a lovely retreat for them.

I have been trying so hard to not go crazy buying new things.  I feel like any time I move, I automatically feel like I have no furniture, no art, no decor and need all new stuff.  It's much like with clothes and the season changes.  Each year when it gets a little warmer or a little cooler and it's time to change out the wardrobe, I always find myself with nothing and wondering what in the world did I wear last year. 

So, I have been very patient and have not really bought much for the new place.  However, two purchases were made for our little kitchen nook that I am so loving.  Lately I have been all about some home decor blogs and am so envious of the talent of folks out there.  I so wish I was handy and crafty and could redo old furniture or turn an ugly side table into a hip bar cart.  So, I decided to get brave.

I had been looking for an old-school, vintage linoleum table for the kitchen.  Much like the one we have at the ranch, which my mother did not want to give me. ;)  So, I was ecstatic when I found an adorable yellow one on Craigslist for a whopping $35.  B and I went to pick it up and it was just what I wanted.  Now all I needed were some equally kitschy and cute chairs to go with my retro table.  I searched and searched but was not finding anything.  I knew I wanted red or teal and worried the red may look a little too cardinal and straw...definitely did not need a Chi-O kitchen. :)

So I checked out the Wish List hoping to score some fabulous finds and did I ever.


I found these old lounge chairs that were only $8 a piece!  They were in pretty bad shape but the sweet owner suggested simply spray painting them any color I wanted.


I did not realize you could simply spray paint vinyl for a whole new look.  I told you I was not crafty. ;)

 

So B and I headed to Home Depot and picked up some lovely teal spray paint, lagoon to be exact.


We wrapped up the base of the chair and got to work.

 

We were both shocked at how good they looked!  Like whole new chairs with just a few coats of spray paint.


 

Don't worry, preggers here let B do the spraying as I stood at a distance. :)


Once we let them dry, we put them in the kitchen to see how they went with the table.





They turned out just how I wanted!  I still have lots of work to do in the kitchen but am pleased with how my first little project turned out.  And considering all the money I saved, I have more to spend on other fun finds. :)  My parents get in town tonight, and I am SO looking forward to spending time with them.  Also, hoping I can put them to work and make a little headway on the nursery...

Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment: